Navy Wives Stick Together
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Navy Wives Stick Together

Us Navy wives need to stick together, for our husbands aren't always there. So come in and meet new people who live the same life you do. There the best friends you'll ever have.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

WE GOT ORDERS!!!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
pvm4ever88
Admin
Admin
pvm4ever88

Number of posts : 540
Moods : WE GOT ORDERS!!! 7
Different Groups : WE GOT ORDERS!!! Character0286
Registration date : 2008-06-03

WE GOT ORDERS!!! Empty
PostSubject: WE GOT ORDERS!!!   WE GOT ORDERS!!! Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2008 8:49 am

So we finally got orders Hubby came home last night and said he's on the USS George Bush. Its in Newport News, VA. So thats where we are moving. Well be there in August.

My question is I realize there isn't a base there, but only a shipyard so what base would we live on? Also is base housing available or is there a waiting list?

I apperciate any help you ladies give me! Thank You!
Back to top Go down
https://navywives.aforumfree.com
UncleSamWifey
Mod
Mod
UncleSamWifey

Number of posts : 498
Moods : WE GOT ORDERS!!! 18
Different Groups : WE GOT ORDERS!!! Character0229
Registration date : 2008-06-07

WE GOT ORDERS!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: WE GOT ORDERS!!!   WE GOT ORDERS!!! Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2008 9:05 am

They'll put you in Air Force housing near Langley...Im pretty sure.Ask NavyAirmanWifey,her husband is at the Newport News shipyard.And that is where they were going to put her and husband if Im not mistaken.

You can also put in for Little Creek...but you will be about an hour+ commute away from the shipyards.

You will get stickers for the shipyard,you just have to go to the "pass office" for the shipyards and get your stickers.You will be closest to Langley AF base.Without traffic,you can get to Norfolk in about 30 mins.

Keep in mind what connects you to Va Beach,Norfolk,Chesapeake,and Oceana is a loooong tunnel.People here for whatever reason FREAK OUT about the tunnel,and that is what causes all the traffic.People also do not use their brakes here,and will slam on their brakes a foot before the traffic is at a dead stop.I find myself along with my husband almost rear ending cars like crazy.

If you have anymore questions lemme know...my husband was at the Portsmouth Shipyard.
Back to top Go down
pvm4ever88
Admin
Admin
pvm4ever88

WE GOT ORDERS!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: WE GOT ORDERS!!!   WE GOT ORDERS!!! Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2008 9:09 am

So the base housing isn't nice?
Back to top Go down
UncleSamWifey
Mod
Mod
UncleSamWifey

WE GOT ORDERS!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: WE GOT ORDERS!!!   WE GOT ORDERS!!! Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2008 9:16 am

She said it was nothing amazing from what I remember of our conversations.(Chantelle correct me if Im wrong!)

The nice "off base" housing Ive seen is by us in Va Beach for enlisted.What is happening right now is for the Navy,Lincoln Military Housing is taking over.From what I understand it is a civilian construction company redoing the housing..Lincoln Military Housing website

With the exception of Little Creek...I honestly think most of the base housing in this area isnt even on base.The VA Beach housing by us is nowhere NEAR a base...they're a good 20 mins from Little Creek.

Honestly,you're better off not being surrounded by families with tons of kids and using BAH for a decent apartment.Apt.s are so cheap here you can actually "make money" from BAH.
Back to top Go down
pvm4ever88
Admin
Admin
pvm4ever88

WE GOT ORDERS!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: WE GOT ORDERS!!!   WE GOT ORDERS!!! Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2008 9:21 am

Thats what we do here...we'll be there probably for 4 years, till Hubby's time is up. I just thought base housing is the easiest route! lol
Back to top Go down
UncleSamWifey
Mod
Mod
UncleSamWifey

WE GOT ORDERS!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: WE GOT ORDERS!!!   WE GOT ORDERS!!! Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2008 9:32 am

hahaha i know how it is.

Esp. since you're both not here.My husband was on the ship when we started looking at apartments.So even though I wasn't here he could look daily since he lived on the ship.

I mean it doesnt hurt to put in for it,see what they give you and go from there.Housing can also give you an apartment list too to help you find apartments.

You may even be able to find a decent house to rent.

You never know.

We're gonna put in for post housing when we go Army only cause we'll have a kid,and I know NOTHING about the Army...haha.No one in my family has experience with the Army,only Navy.

All of our friends are enlisted and not living on base...so I dont even know what Navy base housing is like.One of my friends does say she feels like she outta the loop by not living on base.I dont really feel that way.
Back to top Go down
NavyWifey07 *Naomi*
Mod
Mod
NavyWifey07 *Naomi*

Number of posts : 284
Different Groups : WE GOT ORDERS!!! Character0275
Registration date : 2008-06-04

WE GOT ORDERS!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: WE GOT ORDERS!!!   WE GOT ORDERS!!! Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2008 12:05 pm

If you can't get into base housing try checking out www.rent.com for apartments in Newport News!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/nlholden81
pvm4ever88
Admin
Admin
pvm4ever88

WE GOT ORDERS!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: WE GOT ORDERS!!!   WE GOT ORDERS!!! Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2008 10:29 pm

Thank you ladies for all the information!! It's gonna help us a lot!
Back to top Go down
UncleSamWifey
Mod
Mod
UncleSamWifey

WE GOT ORDERS!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: WE GOT ORDERS!!!   WE GOT ORDERS!!! Icon_minitimeThu Jun 19, 2008 8:41 am

No problem! Good luck!
Back to top Go down
NavyAirmanWifey
Mod
Mod
NavyAirmanWifey

Number of posts : 186
Registration date : 2008-06-11

WE GOT ORDERS!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: WE GOT ORDERS!!!   WE GOT ORDERS!!! Icon_minitimeThu Jun 19, 2008 9:58 am

When we came down here you will come to this place called Hunington Hall. We looked for it for two hours because they just told him to come to the shipyards. He finally had to ask some Officer where it was. Well they checked him in. It's an old hospital they made into barracks. But he will have to go there to check in and then go upstairs and fill out some information. Then if you tell them you want base housing they will call some people. They had two houses available out at Langley and that was the only place they had available. They aren't anything special. They are really old and the walls are the big block bricks that they use in like school hallways and stuff. So we opted to go for the apartments. Because then we were actually pocketing 450 dollars. We live at Forest Lake apartments and it's pretty nice sized, it's a little over 1,050 square feet. We have two bedrooms two full baths a living room, dining room and kitchen. Plus the washer and dryer are included. If we were to have moved out to Langley we would of had to buy our own washer and dryer....or go to the Laundry mat. Not worth it since we would have to either sell the washer and dryer or along with everything else put it in a u haul and drive all the way to San Deigo. My husband actually went to A School with a few people on the Bush. If you guys need any help when you go to check in, let me know. I'd be glad to help you. It's kind of hard to find. Especially since it's in the worst part of town. When he's in in doc they will have a cop come and talk to him and they will tell him its the worst part of town at night, and how there are prostitues down there that are mostly males, and theres a little strip club close to there that lets little kids in. It's ridiculous.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/chantelle_rhenea
NavyAirmanWifey
Mod
Mod
NavyAirmanWifey

Number of posts : 186
Registration date : 2008-06-11

WE GOT ORDERS!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: WE GOT ORDERS!!!   WE GOT ORDERS!!! Icon_minitimeThu Jun 19, 2008 10:01 am

Oh and she's definitley right about the tunnel. Don't ever go to Norfolk or anywhere across the water at about 3-6 pm unless your ready for the 6 mile backups. It's all about the tunnel people freak out about it and they go so slow and slam on their brakes, but as soon as your out of the tunnel it's smooth sailing again.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/chantelle_rhenea
pvm4ever88
Admin
Admin
pvm4ever88

WE GOT ORDERS!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: WE GOT ORDERS!!!   WE GOT ORDERS!!! Icon_minitimeThu Jun 19, 2008 10:02 am

OO my that isn't good at all. Someone told me about hamilton redoubt. Do you know anything about that place....she said its like 15-20 mins from the shipyards.
Back to top Go down
UncleSamWifey
Mod
Mod
UncleSamWifey

WE GOT ORDERS!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: WE GOT ORDERS!!!   WE GOT ORDERS!!! Icon_minitimeFri Jun 20, 2008 10:47 am

To be brutally honest...because I dont fluff it up.

This place sucks.

If you wanna find full time work you need to be looking NOW.I would look at usajobs.com.Look on craigslist.com.Look at local newspapers online.Look into NEX job postings too.I know at one point there were openings at FFSC for a receptionist.

I would highly suggest you start looking now.I was applying in January when we moved down here.And I didnt get any interviews until March.I swear to you...I applied for anything and everything.

Thankfully,my unemployment was okayed which I shouldve applied for in the beginning...but now I know.So that saved us...also the Navy was refusing to pay us BAH.So there was a lot of going on but the whole job market sucks here.

Maybe because the weather is better it seems like every place is hiring...but that wasn't the case a few months ago.
Back to top Go down
brittanyu
Mod
Mod
brittanyu

Number of posts : 311
Different Groups : WE GOT ORDERS!!! Character0275
Registration date : 2008-07-25

WE GOT ORDERS!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: WE GOT ORDERS!!!   WE GOT ORDERS!!! Icon_minitimeSun Jul 27, 2008 1:27 pm

Good Luck with your Move!!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/britzy843
Sponsored content

WE GOT ORDERS!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: WE GOT ORDERS!!!   WE GOT ORDERS!!! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

WE GOT ORDERS!!!
Page 1 of 1