Navy Wives Stick Together
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Navy Wives Stick Together

Us Navy wives need to stick together, for our husbands aren't always there. So come in and meet new people who live the same life you do. There the best friends you'll ever have.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Gunshot Kills Sailor Aboard Rossevelt

Go down 
+3
mjrose514
Rachel
NavyWifey07 *Naomi*
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
NavyWifey07 *Naomi*
Mod
Mod
NavyWifey07 *Naomi*

Number of posts : 284
Different Groups : Gunshot Kills Sailor Aboard Rossevelt Character0275
Registration date : 2008-06-04

Gunshot Kills Sailor Aboard Rossevelt Empty
PostSubject: Gunshot Kills Sailor Aboard Rossevelt   Gunshot Kills Sailor Aboard Rossevelt Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2008 9:55 am

July 02, 2008

NORFOLK, Va. -- The U.S. Navy says it is investigating the shooting death of a sailor aboard the aircraft carrier USS Theodore Roosevelt in port in Virginia.

The incident took place Tuesday night while the ship was docked at the Norfolk Naval Station, The (Newport News, Va.) Daily Press reported.

The victim's name was not immediately released and it was not known if the shooting was accidental or intentional. The Navy told The (Norfolk, Va.) Virginian-Pilot that no details of the incident would be released for the time being.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/nlholden81
Rachel
NWST Girl all The Way!!
NWST Girl all The Way!!
Rachel

Number of posts : 714
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Gunshot Kills Sailor Aboard Rossevelt   Gunshot Kills Sailor Aboard Rossevelt Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2008 12:42 pm

oh my gosh! thats horrible!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/mrsfee
NavyWifey07 *Naomi*
Mod
Mod
NavyWifey07 *Naomi*

PostSubject: Re: Gunshot Kills Sailor Aboard Rossevelt   Gunshot Kills Sailor Aboard Rossevelt Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2008 12:45 pm

I know! I know people on that ship too!
Back to top Go down
Rachel
NWST Girl all The Way!!
NWST Girl all The Way!!
Rachel

PostSubject: Re: Gunshot Kills Sailor Aboard Rossevelt   Gunshot Kills Sailor Aboard Rossevelt Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2008 12:47 pm

oh man...scary! i wonder when they will release the name...so sad :(
Back to top Go down
NavyWifey07 *Naomi*
Mod
Mod
NavyWifey07 *Naomi*

PostSubject: Re: Gunshot Kills Sailor Aboard Rossevelt   Gunshot Kills Sailor Aboard Rossevelt Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2008 2:13 pm

I have been checking with the Virginian Pilot to see if they have posted it! It's hard to believe that something like that happened so close to home!
Back to top Go down
mjrose514
NWST Training Course 101
NWST Training Course 101

Number of posts : 276
Registration date : 2008-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Gunshot Kills Sailor Aboard Rossevelt   Gunshot Kills Sailor Aboard Rossevelt Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2008 2:14 pm

I wonder what really happened?
Back to top Go down
NavyAirmanWifey
Mod
Mod
NavyAirmanWifey

Number of posts : 186
Different Groups : Gunshot Kills Sailor Aboard Rossevelt Character0229
Registration date : 2008-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Gunshot Kills Sailor Aboard Rossevelt   Gunshot Kills Sailor Aboard Rossevelt Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2008 2:19 pm

That's horrible. My husband is in the shipyards in Newport News. In February a guy fell of the flight deck of the ship and they didn't find him for almost 24 hours. Then a guy got shot right outside of the shipyard at 2 in the morning. He got shot 12 times. Then a second class got shot a few weeks ago because he wouldn't hand over his wallet.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/chantelle_rhenea
Rachel
NWST Girl all The Way!!
NWST Girl all The Way!!
Rachel

PostSubject: Re: Gunshot Kills Sailor Aboard Rossevelt   Gunshot Kills Sailor Aboard Rossevelt Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2008 2:28 pm

thats scary! they should provide more protection for our sailors.
Back to top Go down
mjrose514
NWST Training Course 101
NWST Training Course 101

Number of posts : 276
Registration date : 2008-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Gunshot Kills Sailor Aboard Rossevelt   Gunshot Kills Sailor Aboard Rossevelt Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2008 2:37 pm

omg, isn't the area secured or something, we put up with enough without sending our men to danger AT HOME! they should revamp that area of town or something!
Back to top Go down
NavyWifey07 *Naomi*
Mod
Mod
NavyWifey07 *Naomi*

PostSubject: Re: Gunshot Kills Sailor Aboard Rossevelt   Gunshot Kills Sailor Aboard Rossevelt Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2008 3:13 pm

You would think that they would protect the bases and our sailors better! Newport News is horrible......I was over there when I was on the Enterprise and I hated it! It has to be one of the worst bases in Virginia!
Back to top Go down
imkele
NWST Training Course 101
NWST Training Course 101
imkele

Number of posts : 423
Moods : Gunshot Kills Sailor Aboard Rossevelt 18
Registration date : 2008-06-05

PostSubject: Re: Gunshot Kills Sailor Aboard Rossevelt   Gunshot Kills Sailor Aboard Rossevelt Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2008 3:38 pm

That is horrible!!! They really need to secure the area better to protect our sailors.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/imkele
NavyWifey07 *Naomi*
Mod
Mod
NavyWifey07 *Naomi*

PostSubject: Re: Gunshot Kills Sailor Aboard Rossevelt   Gunshot Kills Sailor Aboard Rossevelt Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2008 4:29 pm

Updated Information from the Virginian Pilot:

The Virginian-Pilot
© July 3, 2008
NORFOLK

A sailor who was fatally shot on board the carrier Theodore Roosevelt on Tuesday night died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound, the Navy announced this morning.

The sailor, whose name was not released, was a petty officer 3rd class assigned to the ship’s auxiliary security force and was on duty at the time. Security forces are routinely armed while on duty.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Gunshot Kills Sailor Aboard Rossevelt   Gunshot Kills Sailor Aboard Rossevelt Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2008 5:06 pm

:pale: thats so scary...i wonder if thats what really happened or if thats just a cover up story..
Back to top Go down
Rachel
NWST Girl all The Way!!
NWST Girl all The Way!!
Rachel

PostSubject: Re: Gunshot Kills Sailor Aboard Rossevelt   Gunshot Kills Sailor Aboard Rossevelt Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2008 5:22 pm

hoorayforthemoon wrote:
:pale: thats so scary...i wonder if thats what really happened or if thats just a cover up story..

yah, really.
Back to top Go down
UncleSamWifey
Mod
Mod
UncleSamWifey

Number of posts : 498
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Gunshot Kills Sailor Aboard Rossevelt   Gunshot Kills Sailor Aboard Rossevelt Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2008 6:54 pm

I know what happened...He was in DH's dept. and old division.He knew the guy personally...

Theyre now making all the security guys be accompanied if they're carrying guns no matter where they go.

He left behind a wife of 6 months.

May he rest in peace,and may he find better peace on the other side than he did on this one.

I refuse to release his name out of respect of his family.We know more personal details too...but out of respect I will not post them on a messageboard.

***And honestly,I think it is VERY RUDE to assume or entertain this could possibly be a cover up.The guy was okayed by the military for mental tests to carry a firearm(all sailors in the security division have to go through a mental screening.)Everything was in order for him to carry a gun,and for whatever reason he chose to take his life.People should have more respect for the departed! Christ!***

Due to the fact this whole thing is still under investigation...I dont want to get in trouble,and get in trouble my DH...I have chosen to edit this message.If you didn't see it the first time.Sorry folks!

Last edited by UncleSamWifey on Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
NavyWifey07 *Naomi*
Mod
Mod
NavyWifey07 *Naomi*

PostSubject: Re: Gunshot Kills Sailor Aboard Rossevelt   Gunshot Kills Sailor Aboard Rossevelt Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2008 7:30 pm

OMGoodness........

I wish for once the Navy would listen! The guy told them that he didn't feel right and yet the made him do it anyway! Just think if they had listened to him he would still be here!

His family are in my thoughts and prayers!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Gunshot Kills Sailor Aboard Rossevelt   Gunshot Kills Sailor Aboard Rossevelt Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2008 7:33 pm

Wow. Thats scary & extremely sad. the shouldnt have forced him to take the gun, that sucks.
Back to top Go down
imkele
NWST Training Course 101
NWST Training Course 101
imkele

PostSubject: Re: Gunshot Kills Sailor Aboard Rossevelt   Gunshot Kills Sailor Aboard Rossevelt Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2008 8:38 pm

That is so horrible. I wish someone would have listened to him when he said that he didn't feel right and maybe sent him to talk to someone instead of forcing the gun into his hand. Yes, he had been cleared before but something had happened since then. My heart goes out to his family and friends and to his shipmates. My prayers also.
Back to top Go down
UncleSamWifey
Mod
Mod
UncleSamWifey

PostSubject: Re: Gunshot Kills Sailor Aboard Rossevelt   Gunshot Kills Sailor Aboard Rossevelt Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2008 8:46 pm

Oh I totally agree.

But he was mentally cleared when he took the tests so I do see the point The Navy has.They covered their butts...he was mentally stable at the time of his testing at least to carry a firearm.And thats what they'll say.

Im sure this may have them change their policy...it already has...everyone that carries a firearm (which is not many) have to be accompanied by someone everywhere they go.My husband doesn't start to carry guns until deployment...he has deferred it due to my pregnancy/fact we only have one car.But he will be doing port security on deployment (checking ids to board the ship,guarding the flight deck,guarding the entrance to the ship on the stairs,etc.)
Back to top Go down
NavyAirmanWifey
Mod
Mod
NavyAirmanWifey

PostSubject: Re: Gunshot Kills Sailor Aboard Rossevelt   Gunshot Kills Sailor Aboard Rossevelt Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2008 9:15 pm

Yeah. They have security INSIDE of the shipyard. But outside your on your own.

But....that's horrible. My husband has been to a few meetings becaues people took their lives. His family is in my prayers though. I don't think the Navy takes care of their men good enough. And they wonder why stuff like this happens. They need to start listening to their men and getting them help.
Back to top Go down
UncleSamWifey
Mod
Mod
UncleSamWifey

PostSubject: Re: Gunshot Kills Sailor Aboard Rossevelt   Gunshot Kills Sailor Aboard Rossevelt Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2008 9:37 pm

Well I think it is military wide.There was a time when seeking mental help meant it went in your report,and goodluck picking up rank.While that has supposedly stopped,I wouldnt hold my breath.The stigma is still there which is why guys wont get PTSD counseling,marriage counseling (god knows the military divorce rate needs it!),or anger management.
Back to top Go down
imkele
NWST Training Course 101
NWST Training Course 101
imkele

PostSubject: Re: Gunshot Kills Sailor Aboard Rossevelt   Gunshot Kills Sailor Aboard Rossevelt Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2008 9:41 pm

Exactly. They don't seem to care about morale as long as the job gets done. If they are having family issues or personal problems of any sort, they are just like, suck it up, get over it. From what I've seen, since I get my health care on an Army base, they seem to make sure that their men and women get help when it is needed. When I go to my weekly therapy appointments, I've seen soldiers being brought over by their COs because they are distraught and in need of therapy. They take care of their own. But it doesn't seem that way with the Navy at all. My hubby was going through a lot when he was in A school because of the separation and when he told someone he was pretty much told to deal with it and get over it himself. And we wonder why there is such a high divorce rate in the military. Hmmm.
Back to top Go down
UncleSamWifey
Mod
Mod
UncleSamWifey

PostSubject: Re: Gunshot Kills Sailor Aboard Rossevelt   Gunshot Kills Sailor Aboard Rossevelt Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2008 9:56 pm

imkele wrote:
Exactly. They don't seem to care about morale as long as the job gets done. If they are having family issues or personal problems of any sort, they are just like, suck it up, get over it. From what I've seen, since I get my health care on an Army base, they seem to make sure that their men and women get help when it is needed. When I go to my weekly therapy appointments, I've seen soldiers being brought over by their COs because they are distraught and in need of therapy. They take care of their own. But it doesn't seem that way with the Navy at all. My hubby was going through a lot when he was in A school because of the separation and when he told someone he was pretty much told to deal with it and get over it himself. And we wonder why there is such a high divorce rate in the military. Hmmm.

Thats like reason No.098309348029384029384 we're going to Army.That is one of the reasons.DH WOULD be taken care of if he had PTSD from Iraq.I think the Army is really trying to combat the suicide rate also...

On a sidenote,I was informed the only reason they rolled out PT uniforms so quickly was because the Navy was the only branch in Iraq that DIDN'T have a PT uniform.

There seems to be a trend in the Navy... :suspect:
Back to top Go down
NavyAirmanWifey
Mod
Mod
NavyAirmanWifey

PostSubject: Re: Gunshot Kills Sailor Aboard Rossevelt   Gunshot Kills Sailor Aboard Rossevelt Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2008 9:58 pm

OH yeah. They preach FAMILY FAMILY FAMILY! TAKE CARE OF YOUR FAMILY. But you know that they don't give a damn if someone tries to get help. I hate the Navy. Honestly, they don't care about us at all. When we go to Langley. THEY take better care of us then our own branch. Haha.
Back to top Go down
UncleSamWifey
Mod
Mod
UncleSamWifey

PostSubject: Re: Gunshot Kills Sailor Aboard Rossevelt   Gunshot Kills Sailor Aboard Rossevelt Icon_minitimeThu Jul 10, 2008 6:08 am

This is from military.com:

Gunshot Kills Sailor Aboard Roosevelt
July 02, 2008
UPI
NORFOLK, Va. -- The U.S. Navy says it is investigating the shooting death of a sailor aboard the aircraft carrier USS Theodore Roosevelt in port in Virginia.

The incident took place Tuesday night while the ship was docked at the Norfolk Naval Station, The (Newport News, Va.) Daily Press reported.

The victim's name was not immediately released and it was not known if the shooting was accidental or intentional. The Navy told The (Norfolk, Va.) Virginian-Pilot that no details of the incident would be released for the time being.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gunshot Kills Sailor Aboard Rossevelt   Gunshot Kills Sailor Aboard Rossevelt Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gunshot Kills Sailor Aboard Rossevelt
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next